RYA Try Sailing /Start Yachting is a short introduction to sailing for complete beginners.
By the end of these sailing lessons you will have experienced steering a yacht, sail handling, ropework and be aware of safety on board. Holders of the Start Yachting certificate can go on to complete the Competent Crew course in a reduced time of three days or two weekends.
Learn more about our Crew Briefing—joining your boat and what to bring.
2 Days – delivered as two separate days
This course lets you enjoy the fun and experience of sailing with no previous experience.
This short sail training course assumes no prior knowledge
Ability After the Course
You will have a sound basic knowledge of yachting.
– Basic knowledge of sea terms, parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
– Ability to tie the following knots :- figure of eight, round turn and two half hitches, bowline
– Securing a rope to a cleat
– Use of winches and jamming cleats
– Has experienced sailing a yacht on all points of sail
– Can steer a yacht under power and sail
Rules of the road
– Can keep an efficient lookout at sea
– Knows where to obtain a weather forecast
Man overboard recovery
– Understands the action to be taken to recover a man overboard
Clothing and equipment
-Understands and complies with the rules for the wearing of life jackets, safety harnesses and personal buoyancy aids
Emergency equipment and precautions
-Is aware of the hazards on board a yacht
-Knows the action to be taken in the event of an emergency
Course Dates and Locations
Please see course calender for where and when we are running this course, view availability and secure your place through our booking system. Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 944 974 and make your booking by phone. If your chosen course is not running at the time you want, or for group bookings, please email us.